A Recipe Adapted from My New Roots’ Life-Changing Loaf of Bread
If you like a hearty slice of bread you will love this recipe! This whole-grain, gluten-free, no-knead, no-mess, life-changing loaf of bread is delicious.
Makes 1 loaf
2 cups raw sunflower seeds – not in the shell
1 cup whole flax seeds
1 cup blanched hazelnuts
3 cups rolled oats (if making gluten-free, make sure to get certified gluten-free oats)
4 tablespoons chia seeds
6 tablespoons psyllium husks
Pinch of fresh ground coarse salt
2 tablespoon maple syrup
6 tablespoons coconut oil – liquefied at low temperature in a small pan
3 cups water
- In a flexible, silicon loaf pan or a standard loaf pan lined with parchment, combine all dry ingredients, stirring well. Whisk maple syrup, coconut oil and water together in a measuring cup.
- Add this to the dry ingredients and mix very well until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick (if the dough is too thick to stir, add one or two teaspoons of water until the dough is manageable). Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon.
- Let sit out on the counter for at least 2 hours, or all day or overnight. To ensure the dough is ready, it should retain its shape even when you pull the sides of the loaf pan away from it or lift the parchment.
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Place loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30 to 40 minutes. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool completely before slicing.
- Store bread in a tightly sealed container for up to five days. Freezes well too – slice before freezing for quick and easy toast!
www.mynewroots.org has a large recipe offering. Some are healthier than others but you may want to check them out.